Sunday, February 24, 2008

Vision Update

It seems like a while since I last posted and now I have so much to blog about!
Frankie went to the eye doctor on Thursday, February 21. He first sees Dr. Sokol, an optometrist, who specializes in Visual Electrophysiology. On Thursday he started with the teller cards, large rectangular cards that he puts in front of Frankie. On one end are lines, and the other end is blank. The easier ones have the lines far apart and the harder ones (closer to 20/20) and very close together. Frankie in the past has just looked at the lines. This time he was pointing to the lines when he saw them and got all the way down to close to 20/60!! Six months ago, he was 20/90, and now he is in between 20/90 and 20/60, so improving! At other visits, Dr. Sokol has then hooked Frankie up with electrodes to a machine that can measure his vision, as well. He did not do that at this visit.
Frankie's TVI also came to this appointment, which was great for me because she could voice concerns, ask questions and explain information that I was confused about. Frankie was also excited to see her and happy to play with her while waiting for the doctors.
Next, Frankie saw Dr. Strominger, a neuro-opthamologist. He examined Frankie's eyes and used a lot of fashlights, Frankie did very well! He confirmed what I had been seeing, that Frankie's right eye does cross inward. He is going to measure it each time we go in, we go back in June. When the measurements are the same, then Frankie will get glasses. If the glasses do not correct the problem, surgery will be needed.
I think Frankie will look cute in glasses, but I fear trying to keep them on him all the time. He does pretty well with sunglasses, but they are not on all the time. If anyone has great tips, they would be appreciated!
The surgery part is scary for my. My daughter, Lizzy, did have eye muscle surgery, as well, 2 years ago. She is doing quite well now. So I will know what to expect, but it will still be nerve wrecking! With her I was nervous leading up to it, I did OK during and I felt the worse after. All the emotions seemed to come out after it was over. I also felt bad because she couldn't go outside and play, because sand or dirt might get in it. That will be an issue for Frankie too. But we will just take it as it comes and be glad now that his vision improved!

No comments: