Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Hadley School

From the time Frankie was first diagnosed with albinism, my family and I have tried to find as much information as we can. NOAH was one of the first websites we found and has been great in connecting us with others and providing us with information. I keep adding to the "Resources" sidebar, and they really are great resources. I want to take time to cover each one and what is important about it, how it has helped me, etc.
The Hadley School for the Blind will be my focus tonight. It provides online leaning to blind and visually impaired people, their families and teachers of the visually impaired. I have been interested in the early childhood and elementary courses for families. "Learning through Play" looks like a great one! It offers suggestions to parents about teaching your visually impaired child, through play and the world around them. They offer classes in braille, as well, which I would like to learn, maybe if Frankie needs to learn it in the future. The courses in O and M (orientation and mobility) provide ideas on how best to structure your home for a visually impaired child. The 3 social skills classes help with special concerns that vision impaired kids face socially. I have not gotten to take a class with them yet, but will write about it when I do.

No comments: