Friday, January 4, 2008

Sun Protection

Sun protection seemed quite overwhelming last year. I didn't know where to start! But we made it through Frankie's first summer of being out and about. We limited sun time and he napped during most of the peak sun time. Luckily our backyard is very shady and we got a swing set, so that was great!
For sunblock I really liked the Banana Boat Baby tear free 50. It worked well, he was well protected and it was gentle to his skin and eyes. The key is to reapply the sunblock frequently! And use it even on cloudy days.
Sunglasses are also very important for children with Albinism. The glare really bothers them and the sunglasses do wonders. I love the Baby Banz sunglasses.
There are also some great sun protective clothes with UV 50 protection in them. Last year I purchased clothes from One Step Ahead. I also was pleased with their car sunshades. If anyone else has good recommendations on car sun shades, please let me know.
Because people with albinism don't get much sun exposure with sunblock on, they need to be cautious about getting enough vitamin D. I made sure Frankie drinks plenty of milk, I buy fortified orange juice and he also takes a multi vitamin to be on the safe side.
The sun issues get easier with time and it becomes second nature to keep applying the sunblock and bringing it everywhere! Frankie loves to be outside, he would be out even all winter!

No comments: