Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My Gym class

Frankie won 4 free classes at My Gym! We went to the first one on Monday. The people were very nice and great with the kids. Frankie loved climbing up and down the stairs that lead up to a playhouse and slide. He didn't make it to the slide, he just enjoyed going up and down the stairs. They were small with a railing, so he was gaining more confidence. He had trouble seeing the last stair and realizing he was at the bottom. I was telling his EI teacher and she asked if there was tape on the stairs, so he would know where the edge was. I said no, the stairs were blue and the rug on the floor was blue, as well. It was a challenge because he could not distinguish between the blues and the depth of the last stair.
It just got me thinking about how things are not always going to be adapted for someone with a visual impairment. But he is determined and kept at those stairs most of the hour long class!

2 comments:

Heather Kirkwood said...

Sometimes stairs are very hard to see, especially when you're going down and there isn't a shadow. Another thing I have a hard time with are stairs that are a single stair, then a long space, then another single stair....sometimes I only know they're actually there because there are several of them. That's partly why I've chosen to use a cane, even though I probably don't need it most of the time. But, my vision is on the worst end of the albinism spectrum. Bravo to Frankie for concquoring those big bad stairs!!!!

Another thing to watch would be to see how he does walking around in shady places where the light is coming through the leaves of a tree so that there are light and dark spots everywhere. I used to have a lot of trouble with that when I was very little. But, I got over it - grin!

Susan said...

How long have you been using a cane, heather?
I hadn't thought about the light to shade outside. Thanks, i will take notice of that.
Susan