Friday, January 4, 2008

Frankie

Frankie was born in May of 2006, greeted by myself, my husband and big sister Lizzy. He was born with a little bit of white hair and white eyebrows. Being quite light ourselves, we did not think too much of it.
Having a daughter and a son was a great feeling, "one of each". Frankie was an easy baby, not really crying too much while waiting for his bottle to warm up! While holding him, I felt as though he were more vulnerable than my daughter, but did not know why.
It was not until he was about 4 month old that I started to notice his poor vision. I had read that babies could track objects by this age, and noticed he could not. A stuffed animal fell towards his face and he did not even blink! We took him to my daughter's eye doctor, and a diagnosis of ocular cutaneous albinism was given. I watched as he did not respond to any flashlights, objects, etc. We were told he knew us by our voices, not our faces!
I know I was in shock as I told family and friends that first day, just reciting what I had been told by the doctor. This shock lasted a while, maybe a month or 2. I was sad about it, but more in shock, looking back on it. I was told he would see better as he got older, but as a mother of a little baby, I was just upset by the fact that he was almost blind! Looking ahead was not something I could do at that point.
In time my shock turned to sadness, one I had not ever experience before. He did start to see more and respond to visual cues, but I still could not get over the fact that he would never see as well as others. That he would be different in some way. It took me about a year to feel ok again and celebrate his albinism. It is just now that I can write about it and tell others about his condition without feeling sad.
People say that going though difficult things makes you stronger. I can't say that for all people, but somehow this experience has made me stronger. I am now happy that Frankie has white hair and eyebrows. I would not change a thing about him. He has brought us all so much joy! He and his big sister Lizzy love each other so and it is so heartwarming to watch them together.

4 comments:

Lee Laughlin said...

Hello and welcome to Blogland! I have albinism as does my husband and 2 children. Have you heard of NOAH (The National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation). NOAH is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting people with albinism and their families. The web site is http://www.albinism.org.
Please visit the web site and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Susan said...

Hi Lee,
Thank you. Yes, we have been members of NOAH for over a year now! I am running a Bowl-A-Thon!
I went to the Albinism group at Perkins, as well, but missed the day that you were there. My friend gave me your email, so I will be in touch.
Susan

Heather Kirkwood said...

Glad to see another blog on albinism in blogland. And glad to see you're connected with NOAH! I have albinism (HPS type 1) as does my brother.

Susan said...

Hi Heather,
I will take a look at your blog too. Nice to meet you!
Susan