Saturday, January 19, 2008

Nystagmus

Nystagmus or "wobbly eyes" many times goes along with albinism. The American Nystagmus Network defines it as this: "Nystagmus is characterized by an involuntary movement of the eyes, which may reduce vision or be associated with other, more serious, conditions that limit vision. Nystagmus may be one of several infantile types or may be acquired later in life."
Frankie has nystagmus along with albinism. His eyes wobble back and forth and it gets worse when he is tired. It has gotten better since he was a baby, though. Sometimes it is hard to tell where he is looking. I have ordered this book: All Children Have Different Eyes. It is about a boy with nystagmus. There is also a girl in it with crossed eyes, which my daughter, Lizzy, had and was corrected by surgery.
I sometimes worry about the nystagmus in regard to Frankie learning to read. His eyes will get so much more tired than other children. I worry that reading will not be enjoyable to him. I am thinking about teaching him braille, so he can always use that when he does get tired. I will talk it over with his TVI and make the best decision for him.

No comments: