Monday, March 17, 2008

First Legally Blind Governor

Today the first legally blind governor has taken office in New York! I am excited about this, it is such a positive step for visually impaired people, and awareness of vision impairments.

From CNN.com:
"Paterson, 53, who is the state's first African-American governor, is also New York's first legally blind governor.
'Let me reintroduce myself, I am David Paterson and I am the governor of New York State,' Paterson said to roaring applause.
He is a leading advocate for the visually and physically impaired. His 2004 speech at the Democratic National Convention marked the first time a visually impaired person addressed the convention. He is a member of the American Foundation for the Blind, serves as a member of the Democratic National Committee and is a board member of the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee."

No comments: