Friday, December 31, 2010

Indefinitely

Indefinitely sounds so long, doesn't it??

The doctor last week told me I have to stay on coumadin indefinetely! It just sounds so long, maybe the rest of my life. And wear the miserable compression stockings that long too! Now, I know there are worse things and people will say, "It could be worse", "think of all the people with worse things", yet I am having a hard time adjusting to this!!

The coumadin is a pain because of all the blood checks, twice a week for now. Risks associated with bleeding too much, etc. They even said not to ride my bike! And the stockings are uncomfortable and I'm dreading wearing them this summer already!

Just have had so many health issues and this one has just thrown me for a loop! Can't seem to shake it, I know I need to focus on positive, but it's just not working well right now!

Here's hoping for a better 2011.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Here's what I know: you can get used to anything. You can. When I was pregnant with Caroline, I was put on the gestational diabetes diet at 8 weeks--extremely limited carbs, carefully balanced carb/protein ratios, writing down every morsel of food that went into my mouth, finger stick blood tests 6x a day, and soon after, insulin injections several times a day. It sucked. I was really angry and bitter, especially because I *wasn't* gaining any weight to start and was kind of enjoying that--along with the fact that with early onset GD, I was something like 90% more likely to develop type II diabetes within 5 years and have to do the diet forever. It sucked. I was mad. I was really, really, upset. But in the end, you do what you have to do, and you adjust. It still sucked, but after a while it was just the way it was and not such a big deal most of the time. Sometimes it was (is...because I'm right on that line of type II now). Sometimes it wasn't. But in the long run, it will be ok, and you will be ok, because you have a fantastic support team behind you, and because you, your very own self, have dealt with much more difficult things. You'll be ok--but it's also ok to be mad/upset/sad/angry too. Hugs!

Susan said...

Thank you, Meghan!! It means a lot!! We have to get together soon!!